Paris - Day 2
Entry by the editor:
I wanted to add in a bit about our first night at our hotel. We were scheduled to take a short walk around the neighborhood, led by our Viking host, at 1 pm, but when we met in the lobby there was a wedding getting ready to start and the band for the reception was warming up in the ballroom downstairs from the lobby. They were so loud we were forced to go outside so our host could explain where we were going. After the short tour, we returned to the hotel but the wedding was occuring, so it had quieted down and we didn't hear anything until we came back from dinner, when the reception was in full swing. In our room, which was on the first floor right above the lobby, we could hear the band quite easily. We assumed they would quiet down by 10 pm, as is common in the states, but when we went to bed it was hard to sleep. We were exhausted, as we had not slept on the flights and had tried to stay awake to readjust to our new time zone. We did sleep fitfully for a bit, but the wedding was for an Arab couple, and the band was playing music that was more wailing than singing, and it would stop and start constantly so it would quiet down, then get noisy, and on and on and on...we thought surely 11 pm it would stop, then midnight, but nooo. In between we would sleep for a few minutes, then wake when the sing song wailing would start up, so at 2 am we looked up noise laws in Paris, which said there was quiet time between 10 pm and 7 am. We called the front desk to complain, but no one answered, so at 2:30 I put on a bathrobe and went down to the front desk to ask them to tell the band to quiet down. The desk clerk told me the music had just ended as the wedding couple had just gone up to their room. As he was saying this, the band started up again and I told him this could not continue as Paris law provides for a quiet time. He stated that the noise was not loud enough to be under the law, and I lost it. I said I didn't care about Paris law, but that since this was a 5 star hotel, and it was 2:30 in the morning, and I was there in my bathrobe because I couldn't sleep, common sense would dictate that they should be concerned about their guests ability to sleep. I expected them to tell the band to quiet down. He said he would ask them to close the ballroom doors but that was it. The music stopped about 3:30 am, and we slept until 5:30 am. Welcome to Paris!
Today included a walk down the Avenue of the Champs-Elysées, Petit Palais and the Louvre. Lots of walking and art!
Avenue of the Champs-Elysées


Little funny aside...in looking for a sign with the words with Champs Elysées, I started with this picture below but struggled with it because it was on a glass building and the reflections of the trees in the window made it difficult to get a clear picture. I moved back and forth, and zoomed in and out in trying to get that "perfect" shot. I spent quite a bit of time trying to get that shot. Finally, I decided that this picture was not going to be what I wanted and headed back to Bob who was patiently waiting for me to get that perfect shot. He did comment that I was taking a picture of the name on a bank and he was watching to see if a security guard would come out and nab me for spying and trying scoping out the bank cameras...guess it did look rather suspicious.
We were struck by the 3 dimensionality of this work....the monks all in black appearing to be closest to us with the funeral attendants behind them
Inside courtyard of the Petit Palais where we had a quick bite to eat at the 1902 Cafe
On to the Louvre for our appointed entry time - tickets bought months in advance. First off, we were fascinated by I.M. Pei's glass pyramid entrance into the Louvre:


Entering into this pyramid you descend down into the cavernous den under it to mill with the crowd heading here and there to explore one of the three major sectors of the Louvre.

The Louvre had massive continuous hallways with so much to see...



























Comments
Post a Comment