Strassburg, France
So, today, as one side of the Rhine is Germany and the other France, we visited Strasburg which is in France. Strasburg has been bounced between German and French rule for many years. Our guide said that her great grandmother changed nationality 4 times during her lifetime. It has been french continuously since 1918.
Strasbourg is one of the de facto four main capitals of the European Union (alongside Brussels, Luxembourg and Frankfurt), as it is the seat of several European institutions, such as the European Parliament, the Eurocorps and the European Ombudsman of the European Union.The old customs house (1358). It was bombed during WWII. It was rebuilt according to the medieval plans. It is currently a restaurant.
The best part of Strassburg was the 16th century old town built around a moat system. The original moat was in a star pattern. This shape represents a defensive perimeter, so that all fields of fire are covered and there are no blind spots. It looked like this below.
I couldn't get a bad picture; the day was beautiful, flowers abounding, the sky dotted in clouds, many examples of half timbered structures and the reflections in the waterway were clear. So I couldn't choose just one or two. Enjoy.

I'll call the Temple Neuf "little", because when you stroll down the next avenue you will be overwhelmed by the anchor cathedral, Strasbourg Cathedral, which is on the UNESCO World Heritage List along with the historic centre of the city, the old town, (called the “Grande Île”) because of its outstanding Gothic architecture.
You can see that it is definitely gothic architecture and definitely outstanding, towering over the city. It was impressive to turn the lane and see this cathedral looming in front of you. We were unable to enter it during our walking tour.

Schweitzer rapidly gained prominence as a musical scholar and organist, dedicated also to the rescue, restoration and study of historic pipe organs. Just another reason I like him. I've shared the pipes of many organs on this adventure.
The French enjoy treating the children with candy for Halloween. The celebration of this day includes parties, parades, and some trick-or-treating. I thought these candy treats were cute.


















Comments
Post a Comment